Provincial Chapter of Canada
15 - 21 july 2010
"Tell to this Generation: TO MARCH ON!"
Presentation of the twofold theme: Vocations and Formation,
The Chapter members had an hour of personal reflection, followed by an hour considering in workshops what our priorities should be in Vocation Promotion and Formation.
Presentation of the theme of Mission based on the following materials:
The Chapter Members took a time for personal reflection followed by an hour in workshops considering what is important for us during the next four years.
Presentation of the mission in the Far North:
With the help of a Power Point presentation, Sr. Doriça Sever took us on a trip to the Far North, explaining its geography, climate, population, way of life, the Church, etc.
- 5 years presence in Gjoa Haven, Nunavut
- Learning how important it is for the Inuit to come to know Christ and become pastoral agents in their own milieu
- The lack of resident priests: hence the need for a permanent presence
- Formation of leaders for liturgical animation
- Collaboration between the Anglicans and Catholics: an asset in the evangelization in the Far North
- Visit of the Bishop (twice a year): a special moment for the community: Confirmation, visits to the sick, meetings with the leaders
- Life in the far North is comparable to life in Third World countries
Presentation of the JPIC by Arlene
The new JPIC team includes Sisters Arlene van Zyl, Albertina Neves and Karen Corera. The team held their first meeting recently to reflect on their mission. During this meeting, several issues were raised including:
- the importance of action: not think God acts all on His own
- the struggle for social justice, for ecological justice, for the safeguarding of Nature (‘Our Mother the Earth is sick’): all that forms part of our Franciscan identity.